News and Any Issues - Freeboard

Picture of Jeong-woo Cho
Regrding Mini-Projects
by Jeong-woo Cho - Thursday, 2 October 2014, 4:29 PM

Dear all students,

First of all, please note that you are supposed to give your talk in 20-30 minutes including questions from the audience. I speculate that you don't need to be too much stressed about time because some talks will be shorter than 30 minutes. We are planning to finish all talks in 4.5-5 hours and I'll come back with a detailed schedule on October 15th.

I would like you to bear a few points in mind in order to make sure everyone can benefit from the mini-projects talks/presentations.

• Narrow down your topic: I find it unrealistic to cover all the contents of a "theoretical" reseach paper in 30 minutes and to convey all the theoretical and methodologial implications at the same time. Please narrow down your scope of presentation to important and remarkable points of the paper.
  • Narrow down even more in case of a survey paper: A survey paper tends to cover a huge swathe of research areas and methodologies. It is likely to be a utter waste of time if you attempt to cover all material in the survery paper in 30 minutes. Please choose only one or possibly two of them. We don't want to know what it looks like but how it works.
  • Fully comprehend the paper and teach it to us: Pretend to be a teacher during your talk and enlighten us on the theory and methdology used in the paper. Please don't scratch the surface of the matter and superficially enumerate many things and equations.
  • Contain area-specific technical details to some extent: In truth, you should introduce backgrounds and some interesting stories in the specific research area of the paper. However, at the end of the day, we want to hear how methodologies in the course can be applied to the research problem. Note also that, since each and every student works in a different research area, they don't want to be inundated too much by your area-specific vernacular.

- Jeong-woo